A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Monday, April 23, 2012

RTW contest - KS-3338

I entered the RTW (ready to wear) contest at PR.  The object is to make an item using a RTW piece as your inspiration, and to create an item as close to the original as possible.

                                   
          

This top was my inspiration piece.


I found this top on-line at Modcloth.com.  I love their site. They have so much to look at and it's a great place to browse for sewing ideas.  I have a folder at pinterest for "fashion sewing items" and lot of the items come from this site.











My Pattern 
Kwik Sew 3338


This is the pattern I used as the starting base
for my top.  This is a great pattern for a basic tee-shirt.  I've made modifications to it to suit me and use this pattern a lot.  I made a size medium,  but since I wanted this top to fit looser than a tee-shirt, I added a little to the side seams. 









My Version




























For the fabric,  I used a black stretch lace with a very pale pink poly-blend knit for the lining.  I'm not sure where I got the black lace, but I really like it. I have about 1-1/2 yd. left for another top. It was very easy to sew - no snagging and holds its shape well.  I got the pale pink fabric either from fabric.com or fabricmart.  It's really too thin for a top, but works great as a lining.  When I got ready to sew, I laid the lace and lining together and treated it as one layer.  For the neckline, I cut a double wide piece of the lace; attached the cut edge it to the wrong side of the fabric; then turned to the outside & edge stitched in place. The sleeves and hem are just double turned in and stitched.

It was a simple project that went together easily and turned out good.  It's really comfortable and feels great to wear.  Plus, it goes in the washer & dryer!

Friday, April 6, 2012

Swimsuit Finished

I recently participated in a swimsuit contest at PR.  I made my suit using this McCall's pattern.

I made a tank style top and thigh length shorts.

I wanted something that's comfortable and
provides decent coverage.  This is my first time making a swimsuit & although I made a couple mistakes, it turned out fairly well.












Here's a picture of it on "Dolly".

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sewing Room Makeover is Complete

It's finally done!  And I really like how it turned out.  Especially love the yellow and blue color combination.  The walls are sponge painted yellow on white.



This is the sewing corner.  I made covers for the serger & one of the machines.


A simple pleated valance with roller shade underneath.  The shade is one I've had for years & was stored in a closet.  It just happened to look good with the curtain fabric.  Don't you love when that happens!



And my favorite part - a magnetic board I made using an oil drip pan (for $10.00) and covered with fabric.  I love it!  I saw this idea on Pinterest.






























 
This is my cutting/pressing table.  I found the yellow baskets at Big Lots & the blue at the Dollar Tree.  The blue ones are the perfect size for patterns.




I covered two cardboard boxes to store craft
supplies.


I have a couple more boxes that I may either paint or cover with fabric.













The sewing room's finished and cleaned up, so it's time to sew something pretty & springy!