A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Knit Top - Simplicity 3790

I made a knit top using Simplicity 3790, but I made so many changes that mine doesn't really look like the pattern. I started with view F, added the sleeves from View E, plus added a bottom band from View C.

The way I used my fabric changed the look too. I had a small piece of a print fabric leftover from another project that I like a lot.  But it was really too small to make anything.  So I decided to use the print for the front and black for the rest of the top.  And I really like how it turned out.





Since the weather was still nice, I decided to get some outside shots.  No pictures of the back as it's just a plain black top.




I made a size 14 and the fit is very good.  I made my usual alteration & trimmed a little off the shoulders.  I also lowered the neckline a little and made the sleeves longer.  I like how the neckline fits - not too wide across. I also like the gathers at the center front - just enough without being too full and loose.  Until I added the bottom band, the top was pretty short.  This pattern has four different neckline options and several sleeves choices, so a lot of variety in one pattern.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Nook Cover

I finally finished my Nook cover and I love it.  It protects my Nook, it makes it easier to hold, plus it's so pretty!  Before starting, I looked at a lot of different styles and decided I wanted a cover that looks and opens like a book.   The problem I had was what to use on the corners that would hold the Nook in place. I tried making fabric corners and different size elastic.  Then a friend suggested using narrow elastic headbands. I got mine at the Dollar Tree - a package of 8 for $1.00.  They're about 3/8" wide and come a lot of different colors. I cut 1 band into 4 equal size pieces, and it worked perfectly for the corners.  I used fusible fleece batting to make the cover padded, and used plastic craft canvas for support and body.  To hold it closed, I added a flap with a strip of velcro.  When I'm holding it like a book, I can fold the cover back, and the velcro holds it in place.  It's also rigid enough that it can be stood on its edge.  Which is handy when I'm reading a recipe from it while cooking.  Overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out.