A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Simplicty 1716 - Knit Top

This is a nice pattern with neck and sleeve variations.

I made view "F", and shortened the sleeves.













I like the look of a cowl neck, but they never lay quite right.  This one has pleats at the shoulders that cause the neck to drape nicely.   I extended the facing quite a lit - just as extra insurance that it wouldn't flip out.  I also like that the neckline's not too wide nor too low cut.


I made a size 14 down to the waist and then out to a 16.  I also added a little to the center back at the hip area to give me more room in the backside area.   And as per my usual alteration, I removed about 3/4" from the shoulder width.



I used my coverstitch machine to hem the sleeves and bottom edge. I think I'm finally getting the hang of using it. 

I used 1-1/4 yards fabric.  It's a poly-blend knit that I believe I got at WalMart several years ago.  It feels ok, but is a little hot for me to wear in the summer.  I'll most likely wear it in the fall with a sweater or cardigan over it.

Monday, July 29, 2013

3 Summer Tops

The first top is Simplicity 1615









This is a really cute pattern, but I'm not sure how much I like the top - for me.   It has a bit of a maternity look and the front neckline is a little low.  I actually used some of this fabric for another pattern that didn't work out.  And since I love this fabric, I have to wear this one.


I made my usual size 14, but should have went down to a 12 through the shoulders and neck. 


Here's how I wore the top today.  Since the neckline is too low and wide for my comfort, I wore a tank underneath it.  Worn this like, it's very comfortable.







 Next up, is McCall's 5665.  This pattern is now out of print.





















This is what I would call a smock-top;  sort of the type of top I wore in the 1970's.   It's very loose fitting, and again, has a bit of a maternity feel to it.   The fabric is a quilting type cotton I got on the clearance table at Joann Fabrics.  I used purchased bias binding on the armholes and made my own binding for the neckline.  Why I wasn't consistent on that, I don't remember.   Nothing fancy, but cool and comfortable.

 



Lastly, is a BWOF, May 2009 # 115













I made a size 42 and added a little at the hip area.  The neckline was too loose, so I inserted a black ribbon and use it as a drawstring.  I used black bias binding turned to the inside for the armholes.  I really like this fabric.  It's white with dark gray flowers and very soft cotton.  I had just enough of it for this top.



Monday, July 22, 2013

Denim Maxi Skirt - Simplicity 3796

Here's my latest project:



I used this pattern. 



I really like this pattern.  It has a good shape, that fits me well and the pockets are nice.

 
I cut a size 18, but ended up taking more than 1/2" off each side.  The waist was still too big in the back, so I added back waist darts. My skirt is 37" long.  I used a double needle and white thread to topstitch all the seams.


The fabric is a light-medium weight denim I got at Joann's  last year.  It took 2 yards for this skirt.



I wanted a basic denim skirt and I'm happy with how it turned out.