A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Monday, April 28, 2014

M5977 - Embellished Tank




McCall's 5977 is the basis for my top.  I started with a size 14, but added width at the hip area & lengthened by 2 inches.  So it's more of a tunic now.  I like the fit of this pattern; the neckline and armholes are the right size, with no gaping.




Side view.   I cut the center front from the print fabric and added to sides of the front using the stripe fabric.    I cut bias strips and used it to finish the neckline and armholes.




Back view, showing narrow strip I added to the bottom.  I used 2 coordinating quilting fabrics.





I added a peter pan collar.



Underside of the collar, showing the stripe fabric






I think it turned out cute & will be good to wear this summer.


Saturday, April 26, 2014

Wide Leg Pants

I've been seeing a lot of wide leg print pants, so I decided to give them a try.

In front of the lilac bush.



I used a BWOF pattern from July, 2009.   I used this pattern because I like the size and shape of the legs - loose fit with a slight flare at the hem. The pattern has front & back darts, a back zipper, waist facings, and inseam pockets - I left off all of these.  To get a loose fit, I made the pants a little bigger than my normal size and then added an elastic casing for the waist.  I made my normal fit adjustments: added a 1-1/2" wedge to the back crotch curve and lowered the front waist about 1".    I'm really happy with the fit.  They're loose and comfy without being sloppy.


The fabric is a light weight blend with a slight texture.  I bought it at Joann's probably 15 years ago.  I've always loved it, but never knew what to make with it.  I wanted printed pants, but not brave enough to go too wild.  This fabric is a good compromise.   And it's thin, so should be cool for summer wear.  I have a small piece left that I'll probably use to make a sleeveless top.





Here's a close up

Monday, April 14, 2014

Butterick 5356 - Top

My first spring/summer project.  A pretty woven top.  I really enjoy sewing with cotton woven fabric!





































I used Butterick 5356 pattern for this top.  I usually use a size 14 pattern for tops.  I made the M (12-14) and the fit is good, so it runs a little big.  I really like this pattern.  The neckline is not too wide or too low, and there's just enough gathers.  The neckline is finished with a self-fabric bias strip.  I like this method and use it often.  The sleeve edge is suppose to just be hemmed up, but I added a band so that I would have the contrast of the green fabric on the lace.    This pattern works best if a light weight, drapey fabric is used.








I used a thin cotton-blend fabric that was given to me and the lace was a small piece leftover from another project.  I added the lace to the upper front only.   I've used the pattern before.  All I paid for was the thread, so basically this top was free.




I made this long enough to wear with leggings.  I cut it at the tunic length, but hemmed it more than the pattern called for, so it's between the 2 pattern lengths.





Here's a close-up of the front:  I love the cream colored lace on the green fabric.



Saturday, April 12, 2014

March sewing - 2 quilt tops

The only sewing I did in March was to make 2 quilt tops.  Both of these are queen size and were quick and easy to make.

This one looks so much better in real life - It's so bright and cheerful.  The corner blocks are black with small white polka dots.


I had a stack of fabric samples that were mostly large floral prints.  I didn't want to cut these into small pieces since the pretty flower designs would be lost.  So I cut them into 9-1/2" squares.  I used 2-1/2" squares for the corner.   I still have to decide on a border.  I'll probably use the same black/white polka dot fabric as the corner blocks.




I had a lot of small scraps left over from recent quilt making, so decided to make a scrappy 9-patch.


I love scrap quilts, love 9-patches, and love a lot of white in a quilt.   So, I'm very happy with this simple little quilt.  I still need to add a border.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

February Sewing: Plaid Poncho and Fleece Vest

Due to some health issues, I've not been sewing much and posting even less. So I'm playing catch up here. These are the 2 items I made in February.

First is a plaid poncho.  I used a piece of plaid flannel that I got at WalMart.  It was $3.00 yd and I used 2 yards.  I didn't use a pattern for this.  I cut 3 rectangles and sewed them together at the shoulders.  I planned to add black fringe to the hem, and I may still do that later.








Next is a black and white fleece vest.  I had the fleece left over from pj pants I made for my DGD.  I didn't have enough of the print fleece, so I used solid black for the back.  For the lining, I used a white silky that I had in my stash.   I think it needs some type of closure.  But it got warm before I got around to wearing it, so I'll worry about that next winter.





I started with this pattern, but changed the shape of the front hemline. 



I used the collar from this pattern: