First a review of how I did in April
Start on summer handbag - started but didn't get very far
Harness for Paisley - made 1 but it's not quite right, so need to try again
Make wearable pants - made 1 pair
Work on Riley's & MIL's quilts - worked on Riley's
So overall, not too bad
For May, I want to sew:
another harness for Paisley
wrap pants - Simplicity 4192
2 summer nightgowns
dress - McCall's 7242
wrap skirt - McCall's 5430
cushions for porch
work on Riley's quilt
That's a lot and probably more than I can finish, but I can roll unfinished items over into June.
Sunday, April 24, 2016
I bought this pattern on Thursday and made it the next day. I bought it because of the raglan sleeves and the 2 hemline options. I made the first view - with short sleeves and rounded hem. I plan to make the other view too.
I started with my usual size medium. Since it's described as close-fitting and I like my tops loose through the middle, I started just below the bust and added a little to both the center and side seams. I also made a swayback adjustment too. The fit turned out perfect. And the neckline fits so nice - just high enough and narrow enough.
I love polka dots and love this fabric. It's a very soft cotton knit that I got at Joann's a year ago and paid $2.50 yard. I bought 4 yards and only used 1 yard for this top. The white is a small piece I had left over from something else.
I wanted some basic summer tees that are pretty and fit better than RTW. And I'm happy with how this first one turned out. Now onto the next one.
Saturday, April 23, 2016
This was her first time using a sewing machine. I'm surprised at how well she did. She understood when I explained how the machine worked and was able to thread it by herself and sew a straight line from the beginning.
The puppy wants to "help"
The first time using an iron.
The only part I did was the cutting. Riley decided how she wanted to put the blocks together, pinned them, sewed them and pressed them. She's really enjoying working on it and it's so nice spending time together. Once we get all the blocks made, we'll tack it together.
Thursday, April 21, 2016
The goal is to make pants that are both comfortable and look good. I've read books, researched, taken on-line classes, tried various fit alterations, and made many, many test pants. And rarely have I been happy with the results. But This pair comes pretty close.
This is an old BWOF magazine pattern, from March 2006. It's just a basic trouser pattern with fairly slim legs. It has front pockets similar to jeans pockets. I made a size 44.
My fabric is olive green stretch woven that I most likely bought at Joann Fabrics. I've been labeling my fabric for several years and since this wasn't labeled, it's been in my stash for quite a while. Since it has lycra in it, I was afraid they might really stretch out while I was wearing them. But after wearing them all day, they stilled looked pretty good.
Alterations I made: I lengthened the side seams by adding 1/2 inch to the top of the waist on front & back and I added 1/2 inch to the back crotch point.
My main fit issue in both RTW and self-made is a fold/wrinkle under the seat. It's less in this pair, but still there on the right side. I feel like I'm making some progress.