A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

BWOF Pants



The goal is to make pants that are both comfortable and look good.  I've read books, researched, taken on-line classes, tried various fit alterations, and made many, many test pants.  And rarely have I been happy with the results. But This pair comes pretty close.



This is an old BWOF magazine pattern,  from March 2006.  It's just a basic trouser pattern with fairly slim legs.  It has front pockets similar to jeans pockets.  I made a size 44.



My fabric is olive green stretch woven that I most likely bought at Joann Fabrics.  I've been labeling my fabric for several years and since this wasn't labeled, it's been in my stash for quite a while.   Since it has lycra in it, I was afraid they might really stretch out while I was wearing them.  But after wearing them all day, they stilled looked pretty good.





Alterations I made: I lengthened the side seams by adding 1/2 inch to the top of the waist on front & back and I added 1/2 inch to the back crotch point. 



My main fit issue in both RTW and self-made is a fold/wrinkle under the seat.  It's less in this pair, but still there on the right side.   I feel like I'm making some progress.



3 comments:

  1. They look good, even with the wrinkle under the seat. I'm not sure how to deal with that, because that is not the fitting issue I have. Pants are hard, aren't they, as far as fit is concerned. I do think that when you have found a pair of pants that you are happy with, that is most of the battle won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great to me too and what a great color that will go with everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! and I love your pup-photo bomber. Pants are hard!

    ReplyDelete