A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Since I wear pants a lot more often than I do skirts, I've decided to really work on developing some basic trouser/pants patterns. I started a sew-along over on PR, and several women have been participating. My goal is to come up with some TNT patterns and then make 1 pair of pants per month. I've found that BWOF pants fit me better than any other patterns I've tried, so that's what I started with. Since I wanted a pair of trouser jeans, I started with a BWOF that has wide legs, a side zipper and side slant pockets. I moved the zipper to the front and added back pockets with flaps. For the first pair I made in January, I used a deep red corduroy. Those were too big & not quite right. For February, I used the same pattern (just a little smaller) and used a medium weight denim with just a little stretch. These fit pretty well, although they are a little big through the legs. I'm going to wash and dry them again and if they don't shrink, I'm going to take them up a little.
Here's a picture:
It's hard to see on dark fabric like this, but here's a picture of the pockets.
Here's a couple more pictures:
For my next project, I think I'd like to make a red pair with straight legs.