Wednesday, April 22, 2015

New Outfit

For the pants, I used this Simplicity pattern.

This pattern is designed for stretch knits, and for the test pair, I used a medium weight poly-blend brown knit I had in my stash.  My measurements put me in a size 18, but I didn't want mine to be form fitting, so after looking at the finished garment measurements,  I decided to cut a 20.  This was a good decision.  Given that I made this pair without any modifications to the pattern, I'm truly amazed at how well they fit.  I do have my normal wrinkles in the back and some tightness in the back crotch curve, but they're pretty good.  I left out the front and back darts and zipper and added an elastic waistband.   I really like the shape of the legs and the hip curve.  Only dislike is how high the waist is, but that's easy to fix.  I'm hoping to refine the fit of this pattern and use it to make some summer pants and capri's.

Even though it doesn't look much like it, I used this pattern for the top:

I started out making view E, but about half way into it, I realized it wasn't going to work.  So I made some changes. Instead of having the bodice cross over, I just stitched it up the center front.  And I changed the gathers on the lower section to pleats. Now that it's finished,  I like the top, but probably won't try this pattern again.

The only thing that's the same as the pattern are the flutter sleeves. 

I really like this fabric, and this is the second top I've made from it.

And finally, a picture of my lilac bush starting to bloom.  It smells so good.  I hope the frost doesn't get it.

Friday, April 3, 2015


I've  attempted to make panties a couple times in the past, but had trouble with the fit and the elastic application, so I quickly gave up.   But I was determined not to be defeated this time.  I spent the month of March working on this and my perseverance has paid off - 8 new pair of undies!

For the first 2 pair, I used a gray cotton/lycra knit I got at WM for $1.50 yard.  It's really perfect for this as it's thin and very stretchy.  I happened to have a small piece of matching gray lingerie elastic and used it for the waist and legs of the first pair.  The second pair I used white elastic since I didn't have any more of the gray.

For the next two, I used the same gray cotton knit and some left over poly stretchy knits for the waist bands and legs.  These are comfortable and I like them, but the leg bands do stretch out.

The black print is a ITY knit leftover from a dress project; white cotton knit for crotch; and stretchy black knit for waistband and leg bands.

The pink & blue is a cotton knit left from some past project and white cotton knit for waistband and leg bands.  The cotton print does not stretch up and down, so they ride a little low.  And the cotton knit I used for the waist and legs does not have good recovery, so stretches out during the day.  This pair looks so cute, but not that great to wear.    Lesson learned.

These last two pair are my favorites.  I used the same gray fabric as before.  I've decided I prefer the combination of  stretchy knit fabric for the waistbands and picot elastic for the legs.  I finally figured out the right length for the leg elastic and have gotten pretty good at applying it.  And after several alterations, I have a good fit on the pattern.


I used the pattern from this book and kept altering it until I have one that works for me.  I changed a little here and there, but the main alteration was adding more coverage to the lower check area. 
This book also has patterns for slips and  camisoles.  And the instructions are really good.

I honestly didn't think I'd like sewing panties.  And at first, it was fiddly, but I once I got the hang of it, I enjoyed making them.  And it was good learning new techniques. Now that I have a TNT pattern and have ordered more elastic, I'm sure I'll make more in the near future.