Wednesday, April 22, 2015

New Outfit

For the pants, I used this Simplicity pattern.

This pattern is designed for stretch knits, and for the test pair, I used a medium weight poly-blend brown knit I had in my stash.  My measurements put me in a size 18, but I didn't want mine to be form fitting, so after looking at the finished garment measurements,  I decided to cut a 20.  This was a good decision.  Given that I made this pair without any modifications to the pattern, I'm truly amazed at how well they fit.  I do have my normal wrinkles in the back and some tightness in the back crotch curve, but they're pretty good.  I left out the front and back darts and zipper and added an elastic waistband.   I really like the shape of the legs and the hip curve.  Only dislike is how high the waist is, but that's easy to fix.  I'm hoping to refine the fit of this pattern and use it to make some summer pants and capri's.

Even though it doesn't look much like it, I used this pattern for the top:

I started out making view E, but about half way into it, I realized it wasn't going to work.  So I made some changes. Instead of having the bodice cross over, I just stitched it up the center front.  And I changed the gathers on the lower section to pleats. Now that it's finished,  I like the top, but probably won't try this pattern again.

The only thing that's the same as the pattern are the flutter sleeves. 

I really like this fabric, and this is the second top I've made from it.

And finally, a picture of my lilac bush starting to bloom.  It smells so good.  I hope the frost doesn't get it.


  1. I like your new outfit! The pants look nice and sound like they are comfortable, and the top is cute. I have that top pattern too, just haven't made it yet. I like the changes you made to it!

  2. Aren't these tunics the best. Cute outfit!