Monday, December 30, 2013

Last Project for 2013 - Handbag

I finally made myself a new bag.  I started with simplicity 3828 (view D).  This is an old pattern and is now OOP.  I used the pattern as my starting point to get the size and shape that I like. 



















My finished bag is 2 inches shorter than the pattern. I installed a zipper at the top instead of a magnetic snap. 





































I used home decor fabric from Joann's.  I used fusible fleece as the interfacing and machine quilted the black side.  I used a solid blue for the lining.  The handles are made from the black fabric with nylon webbing inside. I like using the webbing better than interfacing as it's not so bulky, but very strong, and adds just the right amount of stiffness.




































I like pockets on my purses - so I added 3 of them.  There's a small inside pocket; a large outside pocket on one side and a small one on the other side.  All of the pockets have zipper closures.  I used key charms as zipper pulls.


Here's a close up to show the pulls.



I like the fabric, it's the right size & has the pockets I need - I think I got it right.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Beverly - I think you did get it right - colours, quilting, and I agree, zip fasteners are much better - more security. I love the charms you have attached to the zips. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea to use webbing rather than interfacing for the handles! I will be borrowing this idea for all future bag projects.

    ReplyDelete