I decided to make a pair of jogger pants - aka sweatpants.
When I searched my inventory for a pattern to use, I came across this one. I actually
bought it with plans to make the top, but I never did.
I'm always looking for that pants pattern - one that's both flattering and comfortable. And I think I've found it.
I used a sweatshirt type knit that I've had for several years. For the waistband and cuffs, I used the wrong side of the fabric - which is solid gray. The fabric is very soft, so the pants are so comfortable. Since the pattern is designed for wovens, and I used a knit, they are a little looser fitting.
I'm so glad I gave this pattern a try. The ONLY change I made was to remove some from the top of the pants as they came up too high. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.
I decided to make a 2nd pair using a woven - some kind of a poly. For this pair, I narrowed the legs from the knee down. Of course, they aren't as comfortable as the knit pair, but they're good. I hope with minor modifications this will become my TNT pants pattern.
This is a sleeveless dress pattern designed for woven fabrics. It's a simple pattern
that has a great fit. The neckline is neither too low cut nor too wide for me -
which is unusual. And even though there's no darts, it has a nice shape.
Its my go-to pattern for any simple woven top or dress.
I used it as my starting point for this top:
With these white pants, the outfit has a 60's vibe.
I love this cotton black and white print fabric, but didn't have enough of it to make anything.
So, I used solid black cotton and added a wide band to the bottom and a pleated center panel.
I also used the black to make bias binding for the neckline and armholes.
I lightened this up trying to show the pleats in the front.
I used Vogue 9057 and made view B. With a few changes I got the loose tunic type top that I wanted.
First, I lengthened it by 2 inches. Then I added fullness through the
waist and hips by moving the center of the pattern away from the fold of
the fabric. And, obviously, I shortened the sleeves. I really like
how it turned out.
The black and white dot fabric is a light weight ITY that's perfect for summer tops. It's very soft and was easy to work with. I don't remember where I got it, but I bought 4 yards. This top only took 1 yard, so I still have a lot of it left.
The black fabric that I used for the sleeves is a thin poly knit from
Joann's. I also used it for the neckband. This is the method I used for
the neck: cut a strip 2 inches wide and fold it in half; attach it to
the neck and then serge the seam; then fold the seam down and top
I like the contrast of the black sleeves and neckband with the print fabric. I also like the rounded shape of the hem.
Sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the best. Like this top:
The fabric is a sheer black and silver that I got at
Joann's. I paid $5.25 a yard and only used 1 yard. I made narrow bias
binding from a light-weight silvery/gray fabric I had in my stash, and
used it to finish the neck, sleeves and hem.
I wear it with a black cami underneath. It's nice and cool on these hot summer days.
I didn't have a pattern for what I wanted, so I altered Vogue 8880. I removed the waistline seam and the neckline darts.
I like how it turned out. It's comfortable and fun and I get compliments whenever I wear it.
Butterick 5925 was the starting point for this top. I've used this pattern a couple times before and really like it. I make
a size medium and the fit is good with only minor alterations.
time, I left off the pockets and made it sleeveless.
This was one of those projects that just
happened as I went along. When I started, I didn't have a clear idea of
what this top would be. The print fabric was left over from a maxi skirt project, and I used it to cut the front and then added the black band
across the bottom. I initially thought I would use the black fabric
for the back, but didn't have enough of it, so I used it as the side
pieces. I also bound the neckline and armholes with strips of the black
t can be cool in the office, so I wanted a little something to wear over sleeveless tops.
I had 1-1/2 yards of this mesh-like fabric that I bought the fabric at Joann Fabrics.
I started with an oop pattern for a simple jacket and then made a few changes to get the shape I wanted.
wore the set to work and it was very comfortable.
I love wearing silky tops for summer and recently made 2 using McCall's 7093.
For the first version, I made the length of view " D" with the pockets from view "B" and made short sleeves. I used 3 different fabrics: a blue floral and solid blue that I had in my stash and I picked up the white "silky" from Joann Fabrics. I don't really like the white fabric, but it was the only thing I could find at the time.
I bound the neckline with bias strips cut from the blue fabric.
I made a straight size 16 with no alterations. It's a little big through the shoulders and bust - and maybe a little too long.
For the 2nd top, for the front section I used a silky print that I've had in my stash for years and black for the back and sleeves. This version is a little shorter than the first and uses the curved back hem of view "c". I wasn't sure I'd like the longer back hem, but I really do. I made this one a size smaller from the waist up, and the fit is good.
I'm sure I'll get a lot of wear out of both of these tops this summer.
I didn't use a pattern to cut this simple maxi skirt which is basically an A-line. I made the back a little bigger than the front to allow for hip room. I then added a waistband. I made it one day and wore it the next. I paired it with a basic black tee and black sandals. The fabric is an ITY that I believe I bought at WalMart several years ago. This skirt took about 2-1/2 yards and I still have a couple yards left.