A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Simplicity 4221 Linen Skirt

This is another item for my summer wardrobe.  An ivory color linen skirt. 
























This is the pattern I used.













Made according to the pattern, the skirt would be about 32" long, but I wanted a longer skirt so I added 1-1/2" at the bottom, 1-1/2"  at center & also added a separate waistband.  My skirt is 36" long.   The width at lower edge is approximately 76".   Since my fabric is a little heavier than the recommended fabrics, I decided to trim a little off the front and back center seam to make the skirt more of an A-line.  I made a size 18 (finished hip measurement 46" ).  This is a very simple and quick project as there is only pattern piece that you cut 4 times. 





I used 2 yards of a linen blend from my stash.  I used up the entire piece, which is a good thing as I hate having leftovers that are too small to be useful.   I've had this fabric for several years and really like it.


Looking at this picture, I can see that this top is too long to wear with this skirt.

I like how this skirt turned out.  It's a simple, basic that I will probably wear a lot this summer.

5 comments:

  1. I love your linen skirt.. The color is just perfect for mixing and matching with different tops.. SO pretty. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the top length - the first top looks about right :). It will be a useful skirt - as you mentioned on my blog, we actually wear basic garments most of the time. You live in lovely surroundings - the longer length will stop your legs getting scratched (one of the problems of shorter skirts in summer, I find :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your skirt. You can wear it w/ many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt and top are a lovely combination. Wonderful colors, and the proportions are perfect!

    ReplyDelete