A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Tee Shirt Contest

I'm participating in a contest on Pattern Review that runs through August.  The contest is called "TNT Tee".  The important component of this contest is the fit of the tops.  The only requirement is to use one pattern to make at least 4 knit tops.  The pattern may be modified as to neck and sleeve styles and length and shape of the body.


 
I'm using Vogue 1861, which in now out-of-print. I started with a size large (as I wanted loose fit).  Fit alterations I made are:  narrowed and lowered the neckline (front & back); removed 1 inch from shoulder width; and lowered the armhole 1/2".   I had an issue with the sleeves not hanging correctly, so I rotated the sleeves toward the back and added a little to the back shoulder length. Now this is my TNT basic knit top pattern.












TOP #1

I added 3 inches to the length and added a little to the side seams to get more drape.  The fabric is a poly/spandex ITY jersey I purchased several years ago from Fabric Mart. Hems were finished using my coverstitch machine. I had trouble with tunneling that I worked out by the time I finished.  Neckline was bound, turned to inside and double-stitched.  This one is 1/2" wide; all the others I used 1". I decided the back neckline is a little low on this one, so I raised it up for the other tops.



TOP #2



This top is the same size and shape as Top #1, but I used raglan sleeves.  The floral fabric is a  ITY jersey that I got at Fabric Mart several years.  I used a solid black poly/lycra ITY jersey that I recently got from Fabric.com  I added a 1" neck band and sleeve bands from the same black fabric. I love both of these fabrics and very happy with how this top turned out.






TOP #3


This one is a basic loose fitting tee shirt, and since it's black, I'm sure I'll wear it a lot.  The fabric is a textured, light weight poly/lycra.   I made it a couple inches shorter and less full; and also straightened the hem by shortening the side hem points.   I added a 1" wide neckband using this method:  neckline-binding-for-knits by Sarah Veblen.  Since finding this, it's my favorite way to do the neckline on knit tops.





TOP #4

This is made exactly like the black one (top #3).  The fabric is a light-weight cream colored lacy look knit.  I paid $3.00 yard for it, and this is the 2nd top I've made from it.  I got it last year at Zinck's fabrics in Berlin, Ohio.  zincksfabric.com.  This is a no-frills fabric outlet in a warehouse type metal building.  It has inexpensive fabrics and a few notions and quilt batting.  A fun place to shop!


I'm happy with all four tops and plan to make a couple more for winter - maybe a cowl neck and a lace one.


6 comments:

  1. I wish this pattern wasn't out of print. Your makes are wishing I had the pattern in my stash. I saw a similar ready to wear design being sold for forty recently. I think yours look better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super pattern ~ your tops all look great! This will be your go-to pattern for tops forever ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super tops Beverly, and another TNT pattern accomplished. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pattern. I really like all of these tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made each top look so different from the other..... and I like them all!!! You live in such a pretty place! Awesome fern on your porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised you are happy with this lot - all of the tops are lovely. Great to get a batch of great tops all sewn up at once :)

    ReplyDelete