A blog devoted primarily to garment sewing - with little splashes of quilting, crafts, and misc. sewing thrown in for variety.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Knit Tops




This was an experiment.  I wanted a top with cut-on sleeves, but not so loose as dolman type sleeves.  I started with my often-used altered version of Vogue 1261.  I like how it turned out except I got the end of the sleeves a little too tight.  For contrast,  I used a black knit for the neckband and sleeve bands.












TOP 2





For the 2nd top, out came another often-used pattern, Simplicity 2603.  As per my normal, I used the sleeveless top and added the sleeves from the cardigan.  I made a size medium; added width at the center front and center back to make it loose and drapey; lengthened it by 3 inches; added a pleat to center back; and added 1/4" to the width of the neckband.  I had only a very small piece of the brown and red print that I used for the front, so I used a solid brown knit for the back, sleeves and neckband.  Instead of hemming the sleeves, I added a 1" band.







I believe the fabrics for both of these tops came from WalMart several years ago when they were getting some decent knits.   I like both of my tops and I'm sure I'll wear these a lot.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Kimono - Simplicity 1318

I finished one of the items on my fall sewing list: a silk kimono.  
 







































I used a poly shantung that I got on clearance at Joann Fabrics for $3.50 yard.  The 4" fringe also came from Joann's.  I used 2-1/2 yards of fabric and 2 yards of fringe.  Total cost for supplies (including the pattern) was around $20.00.


I made a size medium,  and the only change I made was to leave off the sleeve bands.





Here's the back: